Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Knowing what to practice

This week I read a book called "Talent is overrated". In the book author talks about how important it is to be deliberate in our practice to enhance our skills but what's even more important is to "KNOW" what to practice. Author said that many people do not have a clear picture of KNOWING what to practice. But those who accomplished knew exactly what they need to practice as they knew where they are lacking. I remember that my high school teacher said that the more you study, the more things that you see the needs to study. But if you do not study, you do not even know what to study. I think that it's a nice book to read and it does challenge the reader to be aware of one's status in terms of their achievement in their fields.


Just looking into where I am at right now, I feel that I do not really have a clear goal and I do not even know what to practice. Of course, there are many things out there I can/should study but my problem is that I do not see the needs so even though I may start out, I became lame and lose the passion to continually practice. I've got several books in front of me. C#, C++, Java Script and some OS/kernel books. I've looked at them to a degree but I've never mastered any of them. When I look at one subject, I feel like I should try another subject. That's pretty bad.

I hope and pray that I will be more consistent in my practice/study and be deliberate as the book suggests. I will keep posting my progress in my blog here so that I can keep track of my status. At this point, let me pick up one language and OS/kernel for the next one month. Perhaps I can write some simple apps like some command line tools, weather app, or stopwatch app. Hopefully, I will have a positive result in the next month.


1 comment: